A few good reasons to consider starting/ending sprints mid-week:
- Public holidays commonly fall on Mondays
- Leave is often taken on Friday or Monday to achieve a long weekend
- Mondays and Fridays tend to be the less productive than other days. Our brains are switching back to work mode on Monday and by Friday fatigue can set in and prevent us from doing our best work.
- Decisions made enthusiastically (say in a retrospective) on a Friday are more likely to lose momentum over the weekend.
- Its safer to make releases mid-week than immediately before a weekend.
The start and end points of a sprint are key to its success. We want everyone to be energised and in the right gear for sprint planning, review and retrospective events.